The functions of the Committee shall be to:
- prepare and submit to the Board for its review draft sentencing guidelines,
- prepare and submit to the Board for its review draft amendments to sentencing guidelines adopted by the Council,
- monitor the operation of sentencing guidelines,
- collate, in such manner as it considers appropriate, information on sentences imposed by the Courts, and
- disseminate that information from time to time to judges and persons other than judges.
The Committee is comprised of the following 13 members:
Eight judges nominated by the Chief Justice, which includes one judge from each of the 5 jurisdictions
- Five lay members appointed by Government.
The Judicial Council Act provides that the Judicial Council nominate a date for establishment of this Committee at its first meeting. That date must be within six months of the first meeting of the Council and was fixed by the Council as the 30th of June 2020. Prior to establishment, work in relation to the recruitment of the lay members of the Committee is ongoing. The appointment of the lay members will be undertaken by the Public Appointments Service for the purpose of recommending suitable persons to Government to be members of the Committee.